DIGITAL DESIGNER - THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Do you think high school mathematics classes could use a makeover? Would you like the opportunity to make a positive impact in this space? Do you want to work with a dynamic and creative start-up? Then, we want you!
We are looking for a Digital Designer who loves education as much as we do; who is passionate about making a difference for learners and who is keen to take on the challenge of digital innovation in the classroom.
The purpose of this position is to transform the graphical elements of mathematics problems (illustrations, diagrams, graphs, charts, etc.) from the boring, uh, traditional style that you might see in a textbook to engaging, beautiful graphics for use on an interactive digital platform. You will also develop a cohesive visual framework for use across the entire product offering.
- You are a creative thinker who can see beyond what is on the page in front of you
- You have the ability to transform traditional maths elements into an interactive digital approach that best conveys the concepts for learners
- You have a minimum 2 years experience in graphic design or similar field
- You are experienced using Adobe - Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- You can work independently and in an agile, product driven environment
- You can manage your own time
- You hold yourself and your work to a high standard
- You are a lifelong learner – in fact, you might not have all of these skills right now, but you’re hungry to learn them.
What We Offer
We offer you the opportunity to:
- Develop your skills and experience in educational learning design
- Expand your network
- Explore your own strengths
- Make a difference in the lives of young people
- Develop your entrepreneurial skills
- Work with an award winning Australian startup.
Machinam is a place where you can maximize your innovative thinking and collaborate with a diverse range of talented young entrepreneurs. It's a place where you can apply your skills to one of the world's most challenging issues – helping students to connect what they are learning in mathematics class to their own lives.
Our product tackles that age old question, ‘Why do we have to learn this?’ by framing maths problems in a way that allows all students’ to connect what they are learning in class to their own life and future careers. Why? Because although girls and boys sit side by side in classrooms all across the country, women are still much less likely to choose careers in STEM than men. One of the contributing factors to this inequality is that traditional resources still have a masculine focus. Did you encounter problems about cars, cannons or trains in your maths class? Us too. We believe content needs to align to all students’ interests not just a small subset of society. We want students to understand the relevance of maths and have the opportunity to make informed choices about choosing their future career.
We have a number of targets around the impact we want to create within mathematics education. In terms of gender we are aiming to reach gender parity in intermediate and advanced maths by 2020, and increase female participation in advanced maths from 6.6% at present to a target of 20% by 2020.
We are a mobile workforce that values diversity and creating a culture that embraces flexibility for all team members.
If you have any questions about the role please call Jillian on 0448 852 209 (no recruiters).
How to apply for this job
Please email a cover letter and your design folio to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Digital Designer application via website.
Closing date: No closing date – apply ASAP.